Narrated by Jim Patton
Run Time: 4 hrs and 7 mins
Genre: historical fiction, time-split
A short historical time-split novel with a 99-year-old Confederate vet telling one of his descendants part of his story. Ezekial McNair lived through the Civil War but can still recall the horrors vividly.
- Take a while to get into the story that’s foretold in the book description. It begins with the outer tale and then starts the man’s story as a boy. That part is interesting but not super relevant.
- Midway through the book we get to the part where he’s training and drilling with his regiment. That part is downright hilarious. There’s probably a lot the author straight up made up, but I can easily imagine these green, country boys making the same remarks about their expectations of war.
- It stops after the first battle description then skims the rest of the war.
- In that sense, the pacing is way off. It’s still enjoyable but would be a much stronger tale if it started with the training and went through at least a battle at the beginning, middle, and end of the war, eased off with a description of how the army disbanded and such. As is, it doesn’t even feel like a complete tale.
- Content warnings: battle descriptions
- Performance is okay. The narrator did all the male voices fine but struggled some with the teenage girls.
Very good but has an incomplete feel. I’m sure it’s aiming for a series, but that’s unnecessary. You could write a hundred similar tales that differ because of the characters you make.
If you want to get 5 clean audio promos a month. Sign up here.
Have You Tried Kindle Vella Yet?
Christmas Shorts – (Mystery, thriller, Christian, suspense; Ongoing; story 1 is complete) Only one story right now, but will be a collection of short stories with characters from across my series. Typically, FBI agents with personal drama. Might feature an abundance of cute puppies.
The Minder Project Season 1 – (scifi, genetic engineering, superpowers; shares characters with Dustin’s Decision, Updated Wednesdays) The government gave her genetic Gifts. Now, it wants what it paid for from the program.
5 Steps to Better Dialogue – (nonfiction, writing skills; Complete) I feel like nonfiction titles should come with spoiler tags. This is a book for writers seeking to learn more about the creation of realistic characters and dialogue.
Assassin School Season 1 – (thriller, YA; Complete) Teen spies try to survive the rigorous training and other drama as powerful people battle to control the Ghost children.
Dustin’s Decision Devya’s Children Book 5 – (YA scifi, shares characters with The Minder Project; Complete) Genetically altered teens struggle to navigate the murky world and control their Gifts.