Narrated by Christy Sassmen
The murder of Lexy’s father greatly alters the course of her and her mother’s lives. They’re forced to go to a place they inherited from her father (because somebody is mysteriously ruining all other opportunities for them).
- Lexy’s powers/gifts are unique (as in I’ve not run into this exact skill in a long time), so that’s cool. She experiences things as she dreams.
- The notion that her mother has powers too is intriguing.
- Unfortunately, it didn’t seem like any of the potential for awesomeness panned out fully.
- Their mystery solving skills are aided by timely hints from a ghost. They seem powerless throughout most of the book.
- The bad guys and their ghost dogs are suitably evil (and cool, even if that part was kind of gruesome.)
- I feel like I might have missed something because the end didn’t seem to have any closure. In fact, I’m 100% blanking on what happened at the end. I think it was the setup to a sequel, but other than that, couldn’t tell you.
- There was a training aspect. Maybe I’m just cynical, but since Harry Potter’s school take on the whole training of witches/warlocks thing, I’ve not once seen the training done well. It’s like the semi-blind leading the truly blind.
The book has some interesting ideas and is probably the start of a decent series. Even though I felt it fumbled some of the potential of its characters, the series as a whole has room to grow into a strong, compelling set of fantasy stories.
These are my books. I have free codes for almost everything.
New Release: Shadow Council Books 1-4. FBI Special Agent Megan Luchek finds several different kinds of trouble from Hawaii to Pennsylvania and back again.
New Release: Fatal Interest. Miranda Kale doesn’t believe in ghosts … until one sends her on a crazy case at a private school.
The Collins Case – 2 FBI agents track down a kidnapped family. Kid friendly.
If fantasy’s more your thing, go Redeemer Chronicles. The first, Awakening, is available as an audiobook.
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – a kid deals with her parents’ divorce, bullies, and the wonder of discovery.
Try The Dark Side of Science – Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live.
Beyond Broken Pencils – Contemporary literary tale of a school shooting. Ian unleashes his inner demons on his classmates and teachers…
Scratched Off – FBI agent vs a serial killer. When Sam Kerman sets out to hunt a serial killer, he has no idea how personal the case will become.
5 Steps to Surviving Chemistry – A primer for chemistry students. Breaks down concepts into simple terms.
5 Steps to Better Blurbs – A book for writers looking to improve their book descriptions