This story picks right up from where the first in the series left off. (And it ends much the same way, with a wrap-up of this part but leaving things wide open for a sequel.) The Resistance has won their first major battle against the evil empire. No, this isn’t Star Wars. It’s slightly more traditional fantasy, less space-y.
– Having heard the first one, it was nice to get to know the sister a little better.
– It’s been a while. I think it might have been more enjoyable if I remembered who was who going into the story.
– World-building 4/5: Intriguing extension on the first story where the wyvern and dragon blood and oil makes a big difference in the battles.
– The story has quite a few interesting characters, but I feel like we don’t really get to know some of them.
– Battles 4/5: Well-described, suitably desperate.
– Plot 4/5: Good guys have been betrayed and need to survive the onslaught of the evil empire.
– Ending 3.5/5 The ending felt good until the final twist which basically just opened it back up to a big, fat To Be Continued sign. I’m just not a fan of the tactic. It’s not quite as bad as a true cliffhanger, but the sentiment is there.
– Narration 4.5/5: I like Reuben Corbett’s voice. Pretty sure he did the first book in the series too, so there’s consistency between the works, which is nice.
If you like dragons and epic adventure sort of fantasy, this is a great series to consider trying.
Associate links to follow…
(If you click through and buy something, there’s the chance I’ll earn like $0.04 … not kidding, that’s basically it.)
The Collins Case – 2 FBI agents track down a kidnapped family. Kid friendly.
If fantasy’s more your thing, go Redeemer Chronicles. The first, Awakening, is available as an audiobook.
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – a kid deals with her parents’ divorce, bullies, and the wonder of discovery.
Try The Dark Side of Science – Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live.