Narrated by Aven Shore
Run Time: 6 hrs, 35 min
The book description essentially tells the entire story, but it’s still worth listening to in full. Tricia Downing, a highly competitive athlete, was struck by a car. The accident left her paralyzed from the chest down. This tells of her painful, long journey to recovery and healing.
- 4/5 Stars Performance: Aven Shore’s performance is decent. I had it going at 2x speed, but that’s a personal preference. Otherwise, I’d feel like it was way too slow. Being slow is always better than faster though because you can speed things up pretty easily. A bit harder to go the other way.
- The cathartic letters Tricia and her friend Matt wrote the woman who caused the accident were/are an interesting idea. They’re very honest, though I’m not quite sold on the necessity of throwing the horrible day back in the woman’s face.
- Powerful story of overcoming a very painful life twist.
- They didn’t dwell too much on the troubles of her day to day life. I would have liked to see more of that. This focused a lot on the training to do triathlons. The beginning 1/3 is about her physical recovery. The latter 2/3rds of the book were a cycle of training, new hurdles, triumphs, and shortcomings. Dates kinda get fuzzy.
- They also didn’t focus a lot on what she does to help in terms of motivational speaking. I get that she probably didn’t want to come off as pitchy in the book, but an end blurb about what she’s up to would have been appropriate.
- You can learn more about her at https://triciadowning.com.
- Content Warning: 3 f-bombs (a few casual, 1 fitting the circumstances)
Seems like an awesome lady to know. I don’t like most non-fiction, but this is still a touching, potent account of overcoming devastating circumstances.
Associate links to follow…
Note: I’m starting to use a few ad sites for audiobooks, so codes are disappearing quickly.
Available Audiobooks: I have free codes for almost everything. That will change very soon.
New Release: The Shadow Council Series 1: Money Makes it Deadlier – An FBI agent gets caught up in a robbery gone wrong.
Shadow Council Book 2: Revenge Makes it Sweeter – A midnight summons calls FBI Special Agent Megan Luchek into a fight for a young girl’s life.
Shadow Council Book 3: Christmas Makes it Chaos – The FBI agent gets a strange ally in the quest to prevent chaos from rocking a lot of people’s holiday season.
Shadow Council Book 4: Treachery Makes it Tense – The agent and the assassin have to team up if they want to survive.
Shadow Council is also available as a ~13 hr bundle.
The Collins Case – 2 FBI agents track down a kidnapped family. Kid friendly.
If fantasy’s more your thing, go Redeemer Chronicles. The first, Awakening, is available as an audiobook.
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – a kid deals with her parents’ divorce, bullies, and the wonder of discovery.
Try The Dark Side of Science – Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live.
Beyond Broken Pencils – Contemporary literary tale of a school shooting. Ian unleashes his inner demons on his classmates and teachers…
Scratched Off – FBI agent vs a serial killer. When Sam Kerman sets out to hunt a serial killer, he has no idea how personal the case will become.