A Timber Creek K-9 Mystery Book 5
Narrated by Nancy Wu
Run time: 9 hrs and 10 min
Mattie’s first official date with Cole Walker sort of gets blasted. A community dance gets interrupted by an explosion.
- I’ve enjoyed the slow-build to the romantic relationship between Mattie and Cole, but now that they’re together of sorts, there’s only drama of the brand reminiscent of spinning ones wheels to nowhere.
- I’ve never liked the deep dark drama in Mattie’s life. It’s always struck me as the author ticking a box on the what my heroine needs to be in this kind of book chart – tragic past.
- I was afraid that the scary predator angle would be same-old as some of the previous books and was pleasantly surprised that it actually had more to do with the plot.
- Robo’s his awesome self, though I feel like he’s slipping from the limelight as Mattie and Cole start revolving around each other. Heck, even Cole’s kids and the housekeeper get way less page time.
- Cole’s still a saint. I don’t see that changing any time soon.
- The plot of this one was enjoyable. Big reveal is a tad anticlimactic, but it works.
- At the end of book 4, I was all ready to spend credits on 6 and 7, but honestly, I don’t know. I feel like the mysteries will be okay, but the family drama thing is getting very tiresome. Maybe I’ll return to the idea in a few months.
- Some cursing. Some violence, but less of that than the last book.
So far, it’s a good series. It’s still one of the best of its kind, but to be fair, I have only read 1 other like it in recent memory.
If you want to get 5 clean audio promos a month. Sign up here.
Have You Tried Kindle Vella Yet?
5 Steps to Better Dialogue – (nonfiction, writing skills; Complete) I feel like nonfiction titles should come with spoiler tags. This is a book for writers seeking to learn more about the creation of realistic characters and dialogue.
Christmas Shorts – (Mystery, thriller, Christian, suspense; Ongoing; story 1 is complete) Only one story right now, but will be a collection of short stories with characters from across my series. Typically, FBI agents with personal drama. Might feature an abundance of cute puppies.
Assassin School Season 1 – (thriller, YA; Complete) Teen spies try to survive the rigorous training and other drama as powerful people battle to control the Ghost children.
The Minder Project Season 1 – (scifi, genetic engineering, superpowers; shares characters with Dustin’s Decision, Updated Wednesdays) The government gave her genetic Gifts. Now, it wants what it paid for from the program.
Dustin’s Decision Devya’s Children Book 5 – (YA scifi, shares characters with The Minder Project; Complete) Genetically altered teens struggle to navigate the murky world and control their Gifts.
Aeris Legends – Wrath and War (LitRPG, gaming, fantasy) This takes a box-of-chocolate approach to providing lore entries (creatures, quest descriptions, game mechanics) and short stories for a fantasy world.
Earth’s Melody – A Light Scifi Romantic Comedy Donatella Velargo, an actress on the run, must choose between anonymity and a desperate (handsome) rebel’s cause to save his sister and his planet.
Trials, Tribulations, and Trust Issues (Superheros, superpowers) A young woman who can access almost any superpower gets manipulated into testing them for the government.