By now, pretty much everybody who wanted to avoid spoilers did so successfully or failed earlier than this article. Still, guess I should start with a warning: CONTAINS SPOILERS. The movie tended to progress from one fight to the next without much breathing time.
Overall: I enjoyed the movie, but I have serious issues with the way it ended. Closure’s a beautiful thing, and this lacks it.
The bulk of this story centers on the bad guy, Thanos.
There’s much to appreciate in this movie:
- Thor taking the power of the neutron star through the chest struck several notes of awesome.
- Thor’s return to Earth, heralded by Bruce Banner’s “You guys are so screwed!”
- Most fight scenes. The short fight in Scotland came out pretty cool.
In no particular order, here’s a sampling of the funny moments I appreciated:
- Thor repeatedly calling Rocket a rabbit.
- Draxx pretending to be invisible.
- Groot acting like a teenager on a road trip.
- Rescuing Dr. Strange on the alien “donut.”
- Dr. Strange meeting Spiderman.
- Black Widow “That was really gross.” (After the chick she was fighting got shredded by one of the alien war machines.)
I find the lack of closure highly disturbing. They may as well have ended with a big, fat “TO BE CONTINUED” sign. Which sucks. A lot. It’s one thing to need to be able to split a story because it’s just too long to tell altogether. And it’s another to drag things out just to make more money. This definitely smacks of “money grab.”
They could have found a way to end on a higher note. Even at the darkest point of any story, there’s some silver lining. At least choosing a slightly higher note would have been kinder to audiences. Time will tell if that ultimately hurts Marvel at the box office. I know for my part, I’m done with this story until the next movie. If it ended better, I probably would have been down for 2-3 more theater trips. As is, guess I’ll save my $60 and see Solo more ;-).
Associate links to follow…