Narrated by E. Dante Chandler
Run Time: 8 hrs and 4 mins
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Victor love Ariana, but she loves a human. The Sea Witch’s son tries to protect his friend, but she’s smitten.
- The initial setup to the world (~1/4-1/3 of the books) was interesting. The middle lagged a lot in terms of pacing, but the last bit had more action.
- Main characters 3/5 stars: Victor’s an intriguing character. Ariana mostly came across as a lovestruck fool. (She got better at the end, but only after several twists.) Ivan was useless and annoying.
- Parts of the story remind me of Wicked (the excellent play, not the awful book) – conceptually when good intentions are taken the wrong way.
- Side characters: I liked Ivan’s brother and future sister-in-law? (the other princess)
- Plot 3.5/5 stars: There’s a lot happening. Most of the middle plodded on in an annoying fashion until one excellent, satisfying plot point. After that, things got much better quickly. Before this satisfying moment I spent about an hour fervently hoping something like this would happen.
- Writing style 3/5 stars: The writing seemed passive in many sections. (This happened. Then this happened. Then this happened.) Then, there would be sections with deep descriptions.
- 4/5 I played the audiobook fast. The performance repeated a few lines here and there, but overall hit most of the right emotional beats.
- 5/5 High marks for imagination. It’s an interesting take and expansion on The Little Mermaid tale.
If you enjoy rewritten fairy tales, this is a solid choice to check out.
If you want to get 5 clean audio promos a month. Sign up here.
Have You Tried Kindle Vella Yet?
5 Steps to Better Dialogue – (nonfiction, writing skills; Complete) I feel like nonfiction titles should come with spoiler tags. This is a book for writers seeking to learn more about the creation of realistic characters and dialogue.
Christmas Shorts – (Mystery, thriller, Christian, suspense; Ongoing; story 1 is complete) Only one story right now, but will be a collection of short stories with characters from across my series. Typically, FBI agents with personal drama. Might feature an abundance of cute puppies.
Assassin School Season 1 – (thriller, YA; Complete) Teen spies try to survive the rigorous training and other drama as powerful people battle to control the Ghost children.
The Minder Project Season 1 – (scifi, genetic engineering, superpowers; shares characters with Dustin’s Decision, Updated Wednesdays) The government gave her genetic Gifts. Now, it wants what it paid for from the program.
Dustin’s Decision Devya’s Children Book 5 – (YA scifi, shares characters with The Minder Project; Complete) Genetically altered teens struggle to navigate the murky world and control their Gifts.
Aeris Legends – Wrath and War (LitRPG, gaming, fantasy) This takes a box-of-chocolate approach to providing lore entries (creatures, quest descriptions, game mechanics) and short stories for a fantasy world.
Trials, Tribulations, and Trust Issues (Superheros, superpowers) A young woman who can access almost any superpower gets manipulated into testing them for the government.