Olivia Novak’s a successful author who should have it all, but she’s still mourning her husband who was killed in a hit-and-run accident. Her mother’s been ill for a while now and finally dies. As her mother’s executrix, it falls to her to deal with her mother’s estate, including a very old manuscript. She’s also got to deal with her two sisters, Lauren and Danielle, and an eccentric neighbor with a soft spot for dogs.
– Not sure why the cover and blurb for the book highlights the dog when at best he’s a side character thrown in because it’s a cozy mystery that needs a token dog thrown in.
– Plot 4/5: There’s a lot going on for these ladies, some good, some bad. Things are a little too neat and tidy, but that’s the nature of a cozy mystery for you.
– Characters 4/5: Ryan the cop is a saint. Danielle’s got attachment issues. Olivia’s obsessed with tracking down her husband’s killer. Lauren likes wine. In short, these people ain’t perfect. In truth, they’re sometimes annoying. Oddly, that makes them more realistic, so if you enjoy that sort of thing, it’s here for you.
– It’s refreshing to have a story where the heroine’s aren’t 20 something fine looking women. (I love those books too, but it’s nice to have a more realistic approach to characters.)
– Narration 4/5: Nicely handled. The lady chosen fits the characters well.
If you enjoy cozy mysteries with a lot of sideplots, this is a good choice for you.
Associate links to follow…
The Collins Case – 2 FBI agents track down a kidnapped family. Kid friendly.
If fantasy’s more your thing, go Redeemer Chronicles. The first, Awakening, is available as an audiobook.
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – a kid deals with her parents’ divorce, bullies, and the wonder of discovery.
Try The Dark Side of Science – Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live.
Beyond Broken Pencils – Contemporary literary tale of a school shooting. Ian unleashes his inner demons on his classmates and teachers…
Scratched Off – FBI agent vs a serial killer. When Sam Kerman sets out to hunt a serial killer, he has no idea how personal the case will become.