3.45/5 Fun Fluff for Cat Fans
*will try to keep this spoiler free until after ads
Jem’s dead. She’s also a cat. She ends up in a weird cat heaven of sorts. Her sole goal is to make it back to Molly and Nick. In the afterlife, she meets several of Molly and Nick’s old cats.
- It’s cute. It’s unique.
- Characters 4/5: Jem’s cute. The rest of the eclectic ghost cast is sort of forgettable, but there are some really great dynamics of love and hate and jealousy. It’s like middle school.
- World-building 4/5: The world created is fine fantasy in that it’s plausible and well-described.
- Plot 2/5: It’s pretty much one random event after another meandering to nowhere. I guess you could say it’s about Jem’s emotional journey, but I’m used to more action in stories.
- Audiobook version is fun, though I will say that Marmalade’s voice got very old, very quickly. Thankfully, she’s really only prominent in the first third of the book.
- Can’t make heads or tails of what the title has to do with the story.
Although clearly kid-friendly, I’m not exactly buying into the idea of this book actually being aimed at kids in grades 4-7. I’d broaden the general appeal to “people who love cats.”
Associate links to follow…
(If you click through and buy something, there’s the chance I’ll earn like $0.04 ….)
The Collins Case – 2 FBI agents track down a kidnapped family. Kid friendly.
If fantasy’s more your thing, go Redeemer Chronicles. The first, Awakening, is available as an audiobook.
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – a kid deals with her parents’ divorce, bullies, and the wonder of discovery.
Try The Dark Side of Science – Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live.
- Continued thoughts on plot: When they were meeting to help Rusty, did they actually do anything? I got the feeling they met and sort of sent him positive vibes.
- The whole check in process, training process, etc was cool, but it never went anywhere.
- They’re already dead, so there wasn’t much sense of danger or suspense.
- The story doesn’t have much closure except that Jem seems to have accepted her fate.