Caitlin gets pulled into the past and meets a few people in the pre-civil war era.
– This is a short prequel to a larger work. There is a lengthy preview of the first official book at the end. It gives the feel of the work to be a long-winded ad for the next one.
– Caitlin is an interesting character. The blurb sort of oversold her as we don’t get to see her doing much in this story. It’s difficult to do much character development in a work this short, but the author manages some. She shows some promise. Given her mixed heritage, I am surprised that didn’t factor more here.
– The side characters weren’t memorable except in type. (The elderly slave healer, the master’s son who is kind, the good slave guy, the kid, etc). The exception to this is Caitlin’s goofy friend. He has a nice energy about him.
– There was a shred of romance but with the time being so short it basically went nowhere.
– about all that happens is she has some nice conversations with people in the past. There is a smidgen of action near the end.
– Cover is cool.
– Narration worked fine. The narrator handled the various voices well.
– It’s always intriguing how much modern thoughts deep into a work like this. The MC happens to land in a place with a guy who is anti slavery.
– The time travel aspect was fine. It’s not my favorite trope because it’s terribly illogical. This one at least doesn’t pretend it’s logical. The characters just accept. It at face value and go about their business.
As a stand-alone story it’s just ok, but there is a grander feel to it like there’s a lot more to come for these people. So, as an introduction, it’s pretty good.
If you want to get 5 clean audio promos a month. Sign up here.
Audiobook Promotions …
Many of my 50 audible titles are listed on Audiobooks Unleashed.
Whether you’re looking for mystery or suspense or fantasy, I’ve got a title for you. Free codes are probably on audiobooks unleashed.
Normal links go to audible. *The Amazon labeled links are affiliate links. That means I get a very small payment from Amazon if you go through with a purchase.*
Note: Filter by US if you’re looking for those codes as many titles are out.
Ones I think may still have US codes: Reshner’s Royal Ranger, Never Again, Innova, The Golden City Captives, The Holy War, Reclaim the Darklands, Eagle Eyes, Treachery Makes it Tense, Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts, The Dark Side of Science, Ashlynn’s Dreams, Nadia’s Tears, Malia’s Miracles, and Varick’s Quest
There are plenty of UK codes, but not many US ones left.
Redeemer Chronicles (Fantasy)
Awakening – Redeemer Chronicles Book 1, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
The Holy War – Redeemer Chronicles Book 2, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
Reclaim the Darklands – Redeemer Chronicles Book 3, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
River’s Edge Ransom – Prequel to Redeemer Chronicles (Amazon) (email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Devya’s Children Series Links:
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – short stories featuring Jillian. (Amazon) (free codes)
The Dark Side of Science – official prequel to Devya’s Children; Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live. (Amazon) (Please email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Ashlynn’s Dreams – Genetically altered Dream Shaper learns her gift. (Amazon) (free codes)
Nadia’s Tears – Jillian tries to awaken her sister, Nadia, from a coma. (Amazon) (free codes)
Malia’s Miracles – Jillian and her siblings try to save a friend’s mother. (Amazon) (free codes)
Varick’s Quest – Jillian and Danielle get kidnapped. Nadia’s also in trouble. (Amazon) (free codes)
Reshner’s Royal Ranger (epic sci-fi) just made it there. (Amazon) (free codes)
Guardian Angel Files:
Spirit’s Bane – Allister and Mina are training to be Guardians. Satan’s out to get them. (Amazon) (free codes)
Kindred Spirits – Mina’s exiled to Earth. Allister’s stuck in the Heavens. (Amazon) (free codes)