Starring: Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman
Co-starring: Jada Pinkett Smith, Lance Reddick, Piper Perabo
Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) is experiencing some health fallout from the other few hectic days (Olympus Has Fallen, London Has Fallen). This round he’s got to prove he’s not he bad guy and save the President from evildoers.
- Plot 3/5 stars: Seriously, you never go into this type of movie expecting a plot. Oh, they throw in plot twists, but they’re straight out of the how-to-write-a-thriller manual. I won’t give spoilers in case you’ve never seen an action movie ever. I think they managed to slip in one thing I didn’t think they’d do.
- Action 4.5/5 stars: Things explode. There is one major car chase. It’s satisfying on the action front.
- Main Characters 4.5/5 stars: By this story in the series, you should be comfortable with Banning and President Trumbull. Love Morgan Freeman and Gerard Butler typically plays the same type dude. They tried to make him deeper by giving him headaches and stuff, but it wasn’t really necessary.
- Side Characters 5/5 stars: Hands-down, my favorite side character was his father, Clay Banning (Nick Nolte). The section in the woods near his cabin was hilarious. I enjoyed seeing Piper Perabo as Banning’s wife. I hadn’t seen her since way back in the Covert Affairs days. Don’t think I ever saw the end of that TV show. I should do that. Anyway, side note: that baby was adorable. The rest of the supporting cast pulled off their roles believably. You end up hating whom you’re supposed to and loving/fearing for the good guys.
- Content Warnings: As with the other two movies, half the lines of dialogue consist of the f-bomb. There’s also a sprinkling of less “shocking” curse words. Also, don’t get attached to characters. I feel like that should be a given in this type of movie, but it bears reiteration.
If you’re looking for a high-action thriller, this fits the mold nicely. I know the critics don’t agree with me this time, but my bar for thrillers consists of entertain me. This met that bar nicely.
Associate links to follow…
Available Audiobooks: I have free codes for almost everything.
New Release: The Shadow Council Series 1: Money Makes it Deadlier – An FBI agent gets caught up in a robbery gone wrong. (Narrated by Liz Brand)
Shadow Council Series 2: Revenge Makes it Sweeter – A mysterious midnight summons sends FBI Agent Megan Luchek on a wild quest to save a young girl’s life.
The Collins Case – 2 FBI agents track down a kidnapped family. Kid friendly.
If fantasy’s more your thing, go Redeemer Chronicles. The first, Awakening, is available as an audiobook.
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – a kid deals with her parents’ divorce, bullies, and the wonder of discovery.
Try The Dark Side of Science – Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live.
Beyond Broken Pencils – Contemporary literary tale of a school shooting. Ian unleashes his inner demons on his classmates and teachers…
Scratched Off – FBI agent vs a serial killer. When Sam Kerman sets out to hunt a serial killer, he has no idea how personal the case will become.
5 Steps to Surviving Chemistry – A primer for chemistry students. Breaks down concepts into simple terms.
5 Steps to Better Blurbs – A book for writers looking to improve their book descriptions