Narrated by Kathleen Li
Performance 4 stars, story 3-ish stars
Run time: 3 hrs and 9 mins
*Disclaimer – not in the target audience
A collection of anecdotal stories and a survey of some of the differing opinions about how to potty train a child.
- There’s a disclaimer that this should not stand in for medical advice and doesn’t cover situations with mental, physical developmental issues.
- Honestly can’t evaluate the effectiveness of the advice in a real-world situation, but all the advice given seemed to be common sense stuff. Praise small triumphs. Be specific about what the praise is for. Going to the potty involves a lot of steps – kid needs to recognize the urge to go, get to the appropriate location, etc. Be calm and cool about accidents.
- Book came across more as a cheerleading, rah-rah, you can do this spiel.
- I did appreciate the lengthy list of terms for body parts, kids, and bodily functions in the beginning. And, yes, I found that part amusing. Tiny human is indeed a favorite term for toddlers.
- Part of the advice was to not read a certain section unless you had to in order to avoid potentially muddying the issue. That makes me think that audiobook format is not the best medium for the book.
- Narration was fine. The reading was clear and engaging. There wasn’t much need for alternate voices due to it being nonfiction.
- The stages thing was helpful until the general note that stage 3 could last until high school. Me: ???? Pretty sure unless something is horribly wrong that will sort itself before then.
- The other piece of advice I found less than stellar was basically lie to the daycare if needed and/or conveniently forget to send in the proper supplies like diapers. I’m not saying there’s never a situation where a lie is the lesser of two evils, but condoning, normalizing, and even encouraging young parents to flat out lie to a daycare seems irresponsible.
- Advice is pretty surface-level, but it’s still nice to have it laid out in an organized manner.
- The book claims to contain all the info one needs for potty training and nothing you don’t need. The claim’s baseless and hard to prove or disprove, but it sounds hella good.
The strong point of the book is it has a survey of a lot of the collective wisdom gained over the years by every set of parents to ever accomplish the feat of potty training a youngster.
Audiobook Promotions …
Many of my 50 audible titles are listed on Audiobooks Unleashed.
Whether you’re looking for mystery or suspense or fantasy, I’ve got a title for you. Free codes are probably on audiobooks unleashed.
Normal links go to audible. *The Amazon labeled links are affiliate links. That means I get a very small payment from Amazon if you go through with a purchase.*
Note: Filter by US if you’re looking for those codes as many titles are out.
Ones I think may still have US codes: Reshner’s Royal Ranger, Never Again, Innova, The Golden City Captives, The Holy War, Reclaim the Darklands, Eagle Eyes, Treachery Makes it Tense, Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts, The Dark Side of Science, Ashlynn’s Dreams, Nadia’s Tears, Malia’s Miracles, and Varick’s Quest
There are plenty of UK codes, but not many US ones left.
Redeemer Chronicles (Fantasy)
Awakening – Redeemer Chronicles Book 1, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
The Holy War – Redeemer Chronicles Book 2, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
Reclaim the Darklands – Redeemer Chronicles Book 3, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
River’s Edge Ransom – Prequel to Redeemer Chronicles (Amazon) (email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Devya’s Children Series Links:
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – short stories featuring Jillian. (Amazon) (free codes)
The Dark Side of Science – official prequel to Devya’s Children; Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live. (Amazon) (Please email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Ashlynn’s Dreams – Genetically altered Dream Shaper learns her gift. (Amazon) (free codes)
Nadia’s Tears – Jillian tries to awaken her sister, Nadia, from a coma. (Amazon) (free codes)
Malia’s Miracles – Jillian and her siblings try to save a friend’s mother. (Amazon) (free codes)
Varick’s Quest – Jillian and Danielle get kidnapped. Nadia’s also in trouble. (Amazon) (free codes)
Reshner’s Royal Ranger (epic sci-fi) just made it there. (Amazon) (free codes)
Guardian Angel Files:
Spirit’s Bane – Allister and Mina are training to be Guardians. Satan’s out to get them. (Amazon) (free codes)
Kindred Spirits – Mina’s exiled to Earth. Allister’s stuck in the Heavens. (Amazon) (free codes)