*I will attempt to put spoilers at the end
A damaged cyborg (destroyed body, intact core and brain) is discovered in the trash heap by Doc Ido, a man who repairs machine parts in people. She doesn’t remember who she is, where she came from, or what she was supposed to be doing. Doc puts her in a new body and so Alita comes into being.
- Character development 4.5/5: I think Dr. Chiren (Jennifer Connelly) had the most character development. Doc’s stubborn but has a heart of gold at the beginning and the end. Alita (Rosa Salazar) develops a bit too.
- Plot 4.5/5 stars: Surprisingly complex for an action movie of this sort. It’s more than just a teenage girl cyborg discovering herself, it’s about a battle angel remembering her identity and deciding to fight for those she loves.
- Action/Fight scenes 5/5 stars: CGI like crazy, but still cool to watch. Not sure it’s worth extra to see in 3D, but I did end up seeing it in 3D/Imax and the experience was pretty neat. There were a few chase scenes, but they didn’t seem like random action movie write-ins for the sake of including a chase scene.
- Music 4/5: Wasn’t impressed in the beginning, but the first credits song and most of the music throughout fit well.
- Humor 4/5 stars: It had its moments between the dark ones. Will include some highlights below.
- Ending 4/5 stars: They’re certainly gunning for a sequel. Box office scores will determine whether or not they get their wish. At the same time, I believe they had enough closure to make this feel like a completed story.
- Warnings: High level of violence. But that was apparent even in the trailer.
One of those movies that is better on a big screen. Jury’s still out on whether the normal digital experience is just as good, but seeing things in 3D was cool.
Associate links to follow…
(If you click through and buy something, there’s the chance I’ll earn like $0.04 ….)
The Collins Case – 2 FBI agents track down a kidnapped family. Kid friendly.
If fantasy’s more your thing, go Redeemer Chronicles. The first, Awakening, is available as an audiobook.
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – a kid deals with her parents’ divorce, bullies, and the wonder of discovery.
Try The Dark Side of Science – Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live.
- Alita discovering a favorite food – chocolate or eating an orange for the first time.
- When the dog-loving hunter warrior goes after the guy beating on Alita and comments “He wasn’t a dog-lover. I hate that.”
- When Alita’s body gets destroyed and Doc finally puts her in the Beserker shell and the nanotech fashions her to what she thinks her body is … and the nurse comments that Alita’s a bit older than Doc had originally imagined.
- Alita and Hugo (Keenan Johnson) share a touching but intense moment and she breaks it by finally apologizing and acknowledging that it was indeed an intense moment.
- When Zapan gets his face cut off. He catches it and is just standing there like “you cut off my beautiful face.”
- They weren’t shy about offing characters. Technically, Hugo could still be alive. Alita fell from the sky city too and her brain was intact, so who knows. Didn’t think they’d kill Hugo’s friend. It’s depicted as a violent, largely lawless world, so it makes sense.